This help center entry is a quick troubleshooting guide to solve no image issue on OpenMV with Portenta H7 and Vision Shield. Please verify and confirm the following checks:
- Ensure the Vision Shield is securely connected to the Portenta board. Make sure both connectors click and engage properly by gently pushing on either side of the board’s connectors.
- Ensure all software and firmware is up to date. For that, verify and update the following:
- Download and install the latest version of Arduino IDE.
- Install/Update to the latest core version of Arduino Mbed OS Boards: In Arduino IDE go to Tools > Board > Boards Manager and search for ‘Portenta’. Install
Arduino Mbed OS Portenta Boardsby Arduino. For step-by-step instructions, see How to update the bootloader on Portenta H7.
- Update Portenta H7 bootloader: In Arduino IDE select the Portenta H7 (M7 core) under Tools > Board and then go to File > Examples > STM32H747_System > STM32H747_updateBootloader. Select 115200 baud rate and proceed with the update following the instructions in the serial monitor.
- Update OpenMV IDE to the latest available version. Then you can try to upload and run “helloworld.py” from OpenMV top menu: file > examples > arduino > basics. The video image should show up in the video section of OpenMV (top right corner).
For a step-by-step guide on uploading your first program with OpenMV and Portenta Vision Shield, try the Blob Detection tutorial.
If the above did not solve the problem, contact Arduino Technical Support.