Arduino offers two types of accounts for minors:
- Junior accounts. For users below 14 years old.
- Regular accounts with restrictions. For users between 14 and 16 years old.
They differ in the features that users can access and the way that Arduino handles personal data. Both account types require the minor’s account to be linked to a person exercising parental authority. Learn more about Arduino accounts for minors below.
This type of account is intended for minors under the age of 14. Arduino does not process any personal data that would allow users to be identified as a child under the age of 14.
In order to create a Junior Account, the user is asked to choose a username and a picture (an Avatar) from a set of predetermined options, to enter a password of their choice, and to provide their date of birth.
To complete the registration of a Junior Account, it is necessary to provide a parent’s email. Arduino will process the personal data of the person exercising parental authority.
If the parent’s email is not provided the Junior Account will not be created and all data provided will be deleted within 30 days.
With a Junior Account, users are able to:
- Access Educational products and services intended for middle school students (view the full list on Arduino Education).
- Download and use Arduino IDE.
- Download and use the Arduino Science Journal App. Use the Science Journal Apps only for creating experiments saved locally in the App. Sharing functionality with Google Drive is not made available to Junior Accounts.
- Submit Assignment from the Science Journal App to Google Classroom, subject to an existing plan held by your teacher and approval of the latter.
Upgrading to a regular account with restrictions
After turning 14, users of Junior accounts will be prompted to upgrade to a regular account with restrictions, for users between 14 and 16 years old.
This will transfer all their files, projects and data to the upgraded account, but the account will still require a person exercising parental authority.
Regular accounts with restrictions
As for the Junior Accounts, users between 14 and 16 years old will be asked to provide the email of the person exercising parental authority. Arduino will process the personal data of the latter.
With an regular account with restrictions, the user has access to all the services available on the Arduino website, except for those services and features expressly reserved for the person exercising parental authority.
Only the person exercising parental authority may choose which services would be activated and which services the user between 14 and 16 years old can access.