Also see Getting Started With the Arduino IoT Cloud in Arduino Docs.
Connecting a new device to Arduino IoT Cloud consists of three steps:
- Add the device to IoT Cloud. Enables the device for use with IoT Cloud.
- Configure the device as a Thing. This will generate a sketch that can be uploaded to the device, allowing it to connect to IoT Cloud.
- Upload the sketch to the device. Upload the Thing sketch to the device.
You’ll need an Arduino account and the Arduino Create Agent installed and running on your computer.
Step 1: Add the device
Go to Arduino IoT Cloud and open the Devices tab.
Click the Add Device button in the top-right or middle of the page.
Select your device type:
- Set up an Arduino device: For Arduino boards.
- Set up a 3rd Party Device: ESP8266, ESP32, and more.
Hover over the i for a full list of compatible devices.
Proceed with the instructions to add your device.
When finished, your new device will be added to your list of devices. Note that it will have an offline status at this point.
Step 2: Create and configure a Thing
Open the Things tab.
Click Create Thing.
Configure Device and Network for the new Thing:
Click the Device selection button and select your device.
Click the Network configure button and enter the network credentials.
- Wi-Fi: Enter your Wi-Fi name (SSID) and password (encryption key).
- Arduino SIM: Use these credentials.
- Arduino with LoRa®: The credentials are added automatically.
- ESP32 and ESP8266: Enter the secret key that was provided when adding the device.
Step 3: Upload the Thing sketch
With the Thing open, open the Sketch tab.
Click the Upload button and wait for the process to complete.
When the upload is finished, go back to the Thing setup tab.
After a short while, your device should come online. You may have to refresh the page.
Note: Device status is not supported by the LoRa protocol, see About device status in IoT Cloud.