Using certain non-standard fonts with the Windows ClearType feature can result in unexpected characters in the text of the Arduino IDE's menus. It can be described as "gibberish", or a "garbled" appearance.
- With a text editor, open the file
arduino.l4j.inithat is located in the Arduino IDE installation folder.
- Add the line
-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=onto the bottom of the file.
- Save the file with the same filename as the original.
- If open, restart the IDE.
If you can't edit the file
On Windows, restrictive permissions may prevent you from making changes to
- Right click on the Arduino folder, choose 'Properties' and uncheck 'Read-only'.
- Click the 'Security' tab
- Click 'Edit...'
- Select the group 'Users', or your username if available.
- Check 'Full control' in the 'Allow' column
You should now be able to edit the file.